Search This Blog

23 May 2014

Guest Post: The Milliner

Imogen's Imagination

I was recently lucky enough to be invited to Imogen Towers to meet Sophie Cooke, the brains behind vintage-inspired headwear brand, Imogen’s Imagination. I’ve been a fan of Sophie’s work for a long time, so I was thrilled to have the opportunity to see where all the magic happens, find out more about the business and, of course, get to try on some of her gorgeous pieces. 

From office job to full time milliner…
"I’ve always been creative, and I’ve always loved hats, but I never thought it could become a career. I was working in an office job when I started out making mini-top hats for friends on the Sheffield burlesque scene when I started to realise that I was actually pretty good at it, and that there was a market for handmade headwear. After encouragement from family and friends – and the inspiration of my teacher-turned-jeweller Mum – I set up the label in 2005. Nearly ten years on, I never dreamed I would have come this far. For years I juggled work with running the business, but I recently gave up my job to concentrate on the Imogen's Imagination full time. There's been a lot of hard work involved, but starting the business was the best decision I ever made." 


Imogen's Imagination

I don’t pay attention to trends…
"Trends come and go, but my pieces are vintage inspired so they’ll never go out of fashion. I use classic shapes, but keep things interesting through the use of colour, texture and accessories – my little birdies are a big seller!" 

To hat or not to hat…
"There’s no rule that says you have to wear a hat or a fascinator to a wedding, but if you’re the only one who isn’t wearing one, you may feel uncomfortable. My Mum always used to say that hats didn’t suit her, so making her one which she loved for my brother’s wedding was one of my proudest achievements. In fact, lots of women tell me that they don’t suit hats, but I truly believe it’s just that they haven’t found the right one yet. From a small comb or a simple fascinator, through to a bird-cage veil or a wide-brimmed hat, there’s definitely something out there for everyone. Trying them on can be lots of fun."  


Imogen's Imagination

A confidence boost…
"When choosing a hat, there are a few things to think about - your face shape, your colouring, your own personal style, the rest of your outfit and the setting at which the hat will be worn. The end result should not only look great, but should raise your confidence levels too. It gives me so much pride to see my clients walk that little bit taller when they try on their chosen design for the first time."


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for inviting me to be featured in your amazing blog! The piece is fabulous and i love the pics from our trying on session- so much fun! Thank you again :o) Sophie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than you for inviting me round to Imagen Towers - I was pretty much in heaven trying on all your wares! X

      Delete