Search This Blog

29 January 2014

Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo To The Rescue

Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo is one of those products I wish I'd discovered years ago. When the temperature dips, I'm under the weather, or I feel even a teeny bit stressed, I get a serious case of scalp flare-up and it's not pretty. Red, sore and extremely itchy, I'm sure people think I have nits from all the scratching I undertake in a futile effort to ease said itchiness. Not to mention the white flakes that flutter onto my mainly black attire. Not a good look.

Scalp saviour.
Over the years I've tried a whole host of medicated shampoos and natural remedies to try and win this battle, with varying success. Aloe vera gel does a good job of temporarily soothing the soreness but is best used overnight, unless you're rocking an 80s wet-look gel 'do. Nizoral sorts out the itching and flaking, but my scalp is left feeling sensitive and my hair very dry. T-Gel didn't match up to its claim of being the "most effective medicated shampoo available" and, frankly, eau de tar isn't really the scent for me. Selsun did a good job of treating my scalp, but left my hair in a ragged state - extremely dry and smelling of sick. Not since a night out in Blackpool circa 1999 have I experienced that scent in my locks.

Happy hair.
And so to Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Special Shampoo. The skincare benefits of tea tree oil are well documented and this stuff just works. It's minty and tingly, really tingly. It's invigorating, a real perk-me-up product, and it just feels like it's doing your scalp some good. I wash once to remove any product and grease, then wash again with a 50p sized dollop and leave it on for a minute or two to really up the tingle ante. I follow with my usual conditioner (at the moment it's Dove Nourishing Oil Care Express Treatment Conditioner, which I really rate) and my hair is left shiny, healthy-looking and manageable. In the ten weeks since I've been using the Tea Tree shampoo, I've only experienced one flare up which is good going.

At £13.95, it's arguably the most expensive product of the bunch, but is worth every penny and I'll definitely be repurchasing.

7 comments:

  1. Tea Tree has been my secret weapon for years. Did you know that it is also called Melaleuca oil? And that is gets rid of canker sores? Super awesome stuff. I found your blog by some random coincidence. Anyway. Hello from the US! Love your blog posts so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that, thank you for sharing! Thanks also for the positive feedback - glad to hear you're liking what you've read so far x

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. For years I suffered with a weird skin condition. I thought it was a pigmentation thing. And it spread - all over my thighs and chest. Then, at the Doctors, I happened to mention it. Turns out it was fungal (ew) and a little bit of Nizoral was all I needed to get rid of it in under a week. Years of feeling self conscious about this mystery rash gone in an instant. And that's why I love Nizoral. That n stops my itchy, scabby, sore head problems too. It might not be glamorous but it works

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also I have MEGA GREASY hair, so dry hair wouldn't be a problem for me :-)
      When I find a product that works, I kinda get stuck on it...

      Delete
    2. Ah, it's so good to find a product that works for you isn't it! Nizoral does work for me too and I turn to it when I get a really bad flare up as it's the only thing that really clears it up. I find it wreaks havoc on my frizzy hair and removes any colour that's in it though. What I love about the Paul Mitchell shampoo is that it's kind to hair and has kept any major falre ups at bay meaning I've only had to use Nizoral once in about 3 months. I had a flare up this morning so I left the tea tree shampoo on for about five minutes and my scalp feels fine now.

      Delete
    3. Yeah it does strip your colour - it was used rarely when my hair was pink. But it works so quickly!

      Delete