Search This Blog

3 April 2014

Review | Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation

My journey to finding the perfect base has been a long one and many a mistake has been made along the way. I’ve tried tinted moisturisers, BB creams, stick, compact and liquid foundations at every price point from pretty much every brand on the market. This one trumps them all.


Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation
The lightweight, practical packaging is easily transportable and makes for minimal wastage.

Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation
Before: Hello blotchy skin and thread veins!

Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation
Just a small amount is needed to give flawless coverage.


Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation
After: This was taken after applying a small amount of the foundation, before powder or blusher. You can see the luminous finish it gives to the skin. 

Why do I love it so?
  • The lightweight, squeezy tube packaging makes it ideal for travelling or carrying around in your handbag, and there’ll be very little wastage when it starts to run out.
  • I’ve never really got to grips with fuller coverage foundations before, finding them too heavy and tricky to blend. This one offers medium to full cover which can be built up without ever looking cakey. 
  • It’s very densely pigmented, so only the teeniest of blobs is needed to give amazing coverage. Even though it's not cheap this makes it good value for money.
  • It blends beautifully and easily - perfect for when you’re in a rush. I find it applies best using the Real Techniques Buffing Brush (from their Core Collection).
  • The finish is neither matt nor dewy, but somewhere in between. There's a luminosity to the skin whilst wearing it with not a hint of shimmer or sparkle.
  • It doesn’t contain SPF so can be used at night when flash bulbs may be popping. It would make a gorgeous bridal base for the same reason.
  • I get a good seven hours wear on my combination skin - even longer when used with a primer, though a dusting of powder doesn't go amiss halfway through the day.
  • It would work well on those who need more coverage, and on mature complexions I reckon. It certainly doesn't settle into the fine lines that have started to appear since I hit my thirties. 
  • Did I mention the coverage? It even disguises the pesky red thread veins around my nose meaning I can skip concealer. Remarkable given the small quantity I use.
You get the point - I really like this foundation. 

I do have one niggle though: There are ten shades to choose from and my closest match, Rose Ivory, is a tad too warm for my pale skin. Under normal circumstances that would immediately place it on the REJECT pile (you know I have a fear of Orange Face), but because everything else is just so damn good, I was willing to hand over my cash for it after trying a sample.

At a not insubstantial £34.00, that makes it one of the more expensive face products I've bought, but I think the quality, longevity and coverage are worth it overall. In summer, I'm hoping it'll become a perfect match too.

So, not quite the holy grail of foundations for me, but certainly the best one I've tried so far. 

Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation | £34.00



Photography outtake

It's impossible to get any work done with this dude around!


Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation plus Buddy cat
Buddy the budding beauty blogger perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment