Search This Blog

9 June 2014

My Holiday Essentials

I like big hats and I cannot lie.
I’m off to the Greek island of Zante later this week and it probably comes as no surprise to anyone that travelling light is a challenge for me. Over the years though, I’ve learnt that there are a few key items which are essential for a week in the sun. Being deathly pale and prone to being eaten alive by mosquitoes, these mainly revolve around sun protection and insect avoidance. Of course, I'll always make space in my luggage for a touch of glamour too...

The Sunscreen
Perhaps THE most important holiday purchase. This year I’ve opted for Piz Buin Ultra-Light Dry Touch Fluid. It offers broad-based UVA and UVB protection, is beautifully light and blends in easily. I hate the greasy residue which some sunscreens leave behind on the skin and, whilst this one isn’t perfect, it’s definitely the best one I’ve tried. I’ll be doing a whole post about facial sunscreen soon, but I'm currently trialling this Soap and Glory one.


The Hat
I bloody love this navy and white polka dot hat (above) which I bought from Primark last year. It travels brilliantly, adds an old-school Hollywood vibe to proceedings, and the wide brim offers excellent sun protection to the face and neck. My other hat of choice is a straw trilby for when I want a more casual look. I’ve also got my eye on this straw trilby from ASOS.

The Red Lipstick
During the day I don’t wear any make-up. I don’t see the point when I’m relaxing by the pool, or wandering around in the heat when make-up is prone to sliding off. The only concession to that is a fabulous red lipstick for instant poolside glamour. My current favourite is Rimmel Colour Rush Balm in The Redder The Better.

The Budge Proof Make-Up
For evenings I favour a light, shimmery look to emphasise any (admittedly minimal) tan I’m likely to pick up. Tinted moisturiser with sunscreen provides light coverage and protection against early evening rays. I’m taking a discontinued Stila one, but this one from Laura Mercier is also excellent. Powder sets everything in place and keeps shine at bay and I’m currently liking Rimmel’s Stay Matte Pressed Powder in 01 Transparent. A sweep of Maybelline’s Colour Tattoo Cream Gel Shadow in On and On Bronze followed by Estee Lauder’s Double Wear Liquid Eyeliner will not budge, no matter how high the temperature gets. Bronzer is a holiday staple and my favourite is Laguna from Nars. With not a hint of orange, it seems to suit all skin tones (even my very pale skin) and whilst it ain't cheap, it lasts for ages and is well worth the investment. The colour rush balm mentioned above is one of the best stains I’ve tried and it offers excellent staying power, but for something less punchy I like Lanolips Lip Ointment in Rose which provides a subtle sheen and excellent hydration. 


The Conditioner
My naturally wavy hair is prone to frizz at the best of times, but throw sun, sea and chlorine into the mix and things can all-too-quickly turn a bit Monica from Friends. Whereas I usually wash my hair a few times a week, it’s a daily occurrence on holiday and copious amounts of moisturising conditioner is essential for locking in moisture and keeping the flyaways at bay. I’ll be using Toni and Guy’s Nourish Conditioner which I really rate. They do it in travel sizes too (currently on 3-for-2 at Boots), which is especially handy.

The Unscented Stuff
My blood must taste sweeeet because all biting insects seem to love me. Mosquitoes especially. Unfortunately, I don’t love them quite so much. I’m allergic to their bites and frequently end up with huge infected welts where there should be little spots. Attractive. Trying to avoid getting bitten in the first place is a military operation and step one is not using scented products. If you too are a bug magnet, the best advice I can give is to leave the perfumed stuff at home and give up your scents for a week. The Simple range is a great place to start and their fragrance-free shower gel is my top pick.

The Insect Repelling Body Oil-cum-After-Sun
This stuff from Avon should be in every holidaymakers arsenal for its ability to moisturise sun-parched skin and provide protection from insects. Just buy it.

Bug Guards Insect Repelling Wrist Bands
I normally have a constant supply of jungle-strength Deet-based insect repellent creams and sprays on me at all times, but I’m 15 weeks pregnant so, alas, these will not be coming with me this time. With its ability to remove nail varnish (really), I know Deet can’t be good for my skin, but it does a fine job of keeping the bugs away so I apply it liberally at all times. Anyway, these wrist bands combined with the Avon body oil will be insect repelling weapons of choice this year - wish me luck!


So there we have it - these are my holiday essentials. Have I missed anything? Is there something you HAVE to take away with you when on holiday? Let me know!

x

No comments:

Post a Comment