Search This Blog

11 February 2014

Review | Bourjois 10 Hour Sleep Effect Foundation

Sleep is one of my favourite things, so the promise of capturing a perfectly rested face in a £10 bottle of base was too good to resist. The question is though, was it too good to be true?

Bourjois say...


“Bourjois 10 Hour Sleep Effect Foundation comes to the rescue when concealing signs of fatigue like dark circles, imperfections in skin tone, and a dull complexion. It is enriched with a high concentration of vitamins and minerals, for revitalised and energised skin.”

Mojito says...


Works well for: This is a great foundation for those who prefer a natural looking, light, dewy base. Matte textures can be very aging, so the light coverage and dewy finish make it ideal for both young and mature skin alike. It works best for normal to dry skin types.

Avoid if: Avoid this foundation if you have oily skin. Same goes for open pores or pock marks - it will only emphasise them. It’s not for you if you prefer a fuller coverage either.

Bourjois 10 Hour Sleep Effect Foundation
Pre-application, things are looking tired and blotchy. Oh and let's not forget that perfectly placed pimple on the bridge of my nose. 

Packaging: Lightweight and easily transportable, this peachy bottle gets a thumbs up from me. The hygienic pump applicator offers easy control so there’s no wastage. Me likes.

Shades: With a measly five, mainly Caucasian shades to choose from, it's not going to suit everyone. The lightest offering, 71 Abricoté Clair, is the perfect colour match for my pale, neutral skin tone though. A pleasing find.

SPF: For what I consider to be a daytime foundation, it's surprising that it doesn't contain any SPF.


Bourjois 10 Hour Sleep Effect Foundation, Real Techniques Buffing Brush
Applying with the Real Techniques Buffing Brush gives more coverage than applying with fingers.

Scent: Despite my preference for unscented facial skincare and make up, I like the floral rose scent. It didn’t aggravate my sensitive skin which is sometimes a problem with fragranced products. 

Texture: Flowing freely out of the pump applicator with a rather runny texture, this is a true liquid foundation. It’s so liquid in fact, that more than one pump has a tendency to run all over my hand as I’m applying it. I now apply one pump at a time and add another as and when I need it.  


Bourjois 10 Hour Sleep Effect Foundation
Post-foundation, but pre-concealer, powder and blush. Two pumps have given a light, natural looking, dewy finish. Things are looking more even, less blotchy. The pimple is disguised, but alas, not eradicated.

Coverage: Offering a light, natural coverage, the 10 Hour Sleep Effect Foundation can be built up slightly, but it’s never going to mask any major flaws or imperfections. Using the Real Techniques Buffing Brush to apply gives a slightly higher level of coverage than when applied with fingers, and that’s been my preferred option.

Finish: Given that this is designed as a fatigue busting base, it’s no surprise that the 10 Hour Sleep Effect Foundation results in a dewy, plump finish. There’s a subtle brightening effect, which I’ve welcomed during these winter months when my skin looks a little lacklustre. 

Longevity: On my combination skin (normal overall, with dryness around my eyes and oiliness on my nose), it lasts around 4 hours before things start to get very shiny. Not great. A primer underneath improved things slightly, but it’s not a particularly long-lasting product. However, the small and light packaging means a mid-day touch-up isn’t too problematic if you're so inclined.

Value for money: At £9.99, this is a well priced foundation. Its lack of staying power reduces its VFM for me a little, but not so much that I wouldn't consider repurchasing it.



Bourjois 10 Hour Sleep Effect Foundation
Concealer, a light dusting of powder and a pop of blush finish off the look and showcase the glow-giving benefits of the 10 Hour Sleep Effect Foundation. The pimple has been well disguised by my trusty Estee Lauder Double Wear Concealer.

Verdict: Offering a little more coverage than a tinted moisturiser and with the added bonus of skin care benefits, the 10 Hour Sleep Effect Foundation is a good choice for people who don’t usually like wearing foundation. Its light formulation is easy to apply without ever looking cakey, and the dewy finish is youthful and glow-giving. Things can get a little TOO glowy around the nose, chin and forehead though, so I’d recommend a dusting of loose powder to minimise shine and set the base, even on dryer skin. Overall, it did a reasonable job of evening out my blotchiness but it loses points for its short wear time. Whilst I can’t say it left me looking as if I’d indulged in ten hours of sleep, it can't be expected to work miracles, can it? 


Bourjois 10 Hour Sleep Effect Foundation |£9.99 | Widely available

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the pictures and the nice review, I didn't even know this foundation existed. Sounds really good since I have really dry skin!!

    ReplyDelete